David Okwii is a System Engineer with about 5 years experience in System administration and software development. At University, I worked with Makerere’s Community Wireless Resource Center (CWRC), a University research project that builds wireless networks for rural communities after which he joined SMSMedia in 2010, a leading Mobile Value added service provider as a software Engineer. There he developed mobile-based applications using PHP and Python programming languages that used SMS and USSD platforms to deliver content to mobile devices.
David then joined Linux Solutions/Cured as a System as a solution administrator before working with Hataricloud as a cloud Engineer. He’s exposed to cloud technologies and vendors such as Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud computer, Amazon AWS, Linode, Digital ocean which he uses to build and deploy scalable and highly available web applications for several clients.
David then worked with Infinity Computers & Communications Company (i3c), an ICANN-certified .ug country top level domain registry and web/email hosting company as a System’s specialist where he’s responsible for the company's critical IBM cloud infrastructure that serves domain, website and email services to hundreds of clients. He maintained and improved the companies registrar platform where he optimized the propagation time of newly registered domains from 1-2 hours to just 5 minutes.
He currently works with Africa's Talking (AT) as a software developer. He joined AT in early 2018 because of his dream of working in a Pan-African company that's building digital fabric of the continent.
- I has strong experience with Unix/Linux shells such as Bash, Fish, Zsh and BASH scripting. I have written a number of scripts to automate routine backups, server & network monitoring, file and directory manipulation, automounting volumes among other things.
- I have the ability to manage and configure LAMP(Linux, Apache, Mysql, Apache) stack, especially the Apache web server.
- I have got experience configuring and tweaking both Apache and NGINX web servers as well as specialized Load balancers such as Haproxy.
- I also have experience with RMDBs such as MySQL, MariaDB, or PostgreSQL, including setting up master/slave replication, automatic backups and diagnosing configuration and slow query issues.
- I have experiencing installing, configuring and managing email servers such as Zimbra, Postfix and IMAP/POP3 servers like Dovecot.
- Strong understanding of the DNS protocol including setup and configuration of DNS infrastructure using Bind 9 name server, master-slave configuration, dynamic DNS using TSIG keys.
- I can configure SSL certificates for web, database, load balancers and mail servers. Experience includes creation of CSR certificates, verification using OpenSSL tool and automated renewals.
- Strong knowledge in scripting languages mainly bash, php and python, Go and ruby.
- Am able to do Web application development using ruby on rails and python flask or Django.
- Good knowledge of containers like Docker and container orchestration technologies like Kubernetes.
- Good understanding of virtual machine and configuration management tools specifically Vagrant and Ansible.
- Deep understanding and usage of git as a version control system.
- I have a strong understanding of networking, Linux routing, ipv4, firewalls, file-sharing protocols (NFS, Samba, DNS, FTP, HTTP).
- Understanding of Linux containers(LXC).
- I have knowledge of backup and restore procedures using rsync-based backup solutions.
- I have Experience with monitoring services such as Sensu, Nagios, icinga, Prometheus.
- Excellent technical writing skills as demonstrated by on my blog.
- Writing: I've good communication skills especially with the written form. I have been blogging for over 7 years now having helped co-found Dignited, Uganda's most profound Technology website.
- Product Development & Startups: I have been involved in bringing to life as the lead product manager for some Tech-drive apps or websites such as Dignited, Storipot, Roadconnexion.
- Community development: I have helped start and manage Codehippos, an online community of software developers and designers in Uganda.
Get in touch
Note to recruiters: Since I get a lot of emails from recruiters, I might be able to promptly respond to yours. Otherwise for consultancy or have interesting job openings, kindly contact me at me(at)davidokwii.com or oquidave(at)gmail.com. However,